Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Thanks grandma

Thanks to my grandma our house could have been in flames last night. Grandma had given me a potato bag to make a baked potato in the microwave. I followed the directions exactly and 6 minutes into the cooking there were some not-so-good smells coming from the microwave. I pulled out the bag, tried to open it and smoke came pouring out. I opened the window and again attempted to open the bag but the smoke was too overpowering. So I took the bag out back into the chilly dark. I mananged to dump the potato out which was wrapped in a paper towel like the directions said and that is when I noticed the bag was on fire. Not flaming but burning reddish orange like kindling of campfire does. I couldn't believe it. I picked it up and yelled at hubby to look out the window at the potato bag I was holding and he yelled back to put it out. I dropped it and contemplated how to put it out since I didn't have shoes on. I found a good sized rock and hit at the burning bag. It was then that I remembered my potato. I unwrapped the potato and lo and behold it wasn't burnt! I brought it inside and it was completely cooked, so I ate it! Needless to say I threw the bag away and couldn't stop thinking about if I had been home alone and left the potato alone to cook, it could have been disasterous!















In other news having a mother-in-law that works for a landscaping company means free bulbs and some sweet deals. She gave me some paperwhite bulbs to grow for the holiday season! They are just starting out, I am hoping to keep you updated on their progress.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so freaky! I am glad you are safe, and even more glad that you still got to eat your potato! :)

Heather

Kaitie Tee said...

Potato bag? I've never even heard of that. But you can always just bake the potato in the microwave, sans bag. I'm glad you didn't burn your house down!

Anonymous said...

Yikes. Scary! My mom and I did that once, only it involved a pie and the oven and actual flames. who knows how that was accomplished.

I will have a package into the mail to you this weekend!